Mise-en-Shot Assignment 2

Mise-en-Shot

MOVIE_[0603]_01

White-balance

For my second assignment I took a great deal more trouble to control my white-balance by taking a measurement through my camera of a  grey-card, this I did for every new scene and any change of location and change of lighting-conditions.

Light-metering

As with my first assignment I used my Sekonic L758DR hand-held light-meter to independently measure the light both reflective and incident then averaged these measurements to find a suitable manual setting on my camera in order to maintain a high recording quality (ISO 125) and control depth-of-field.

Lighting

I do not have film or video-lights and I can not budget for them at present; so I am using available light and reflectors.

Sound

I tried using the camera’s own audio recording with a attached directional-mic but I found the sound recording quality very poor, a lot of background hiss plus great sensitivity to ambient noises.  Therefore I dispensed with the camera’s audio and used a separate digital recording device made by Tascam for video and film-makers.  I synchronised using a clapper-board and went through another steep learning-curve with my editing software but the results were worth it.

Camera

Nikon D800e, tripod mounted, set to manual, set to ISO 125.  I used only my prime-lenses as these are faster than my zooms and having less coated glass inside allows just that little more light that can make all the difference.  The lenses used: 50mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 85mm f1.4, 105mm f/2.8 Macro.  Annoyingly the camera setting are not recorded in movie mode; so in future I must try to remember to take notes of aperture and shutter-speed setting for blogging my work.  (Only the lens and frames-per-second info is recorded and only available to see on Nikons own software.)

Composition

I selected the most suitable lens for the composition that I was trying to achieve for each and all of my shots.  I then selected a camera angle and POV that I thought best suited the scene, so sometimes raising the camera high and even taking it down to ground-level. I tilted the camera to create tension and in the case of the kettle it also helped with finding a good reflection that didn’t show my camera.

The shots of the egg-timer was using my 105mm f/2.8 Macro.

MOVIE_[0603]

The shots of the front door was using my 24mm f/2.8.  White reflector used.

MOVIE_[0603]_02

The master-shot of me entering the kitchen to open the post 24mm f/2.8.  White reflector used.

MOVIE_[0603]_03

The cover close-up shot of the over-the-shoulder view of the report 85mm f/1.4. White reflector used.

MOVIE_[0603]_01

The cover close-up shot of my face 85mm f/1.4.  White reflector used.

MOVIE_[0603]

Watching YouTube 85mm f/1.4.

MOVIE_[0603]_03

The chaotic table of books 50mm f/1.8.

MOVIE_[0603]

The waste-paper-bin 50mm f/1.8.

MOVIE_[0603]_01

The boiling kettle 105mm f/2.8.

MOVIE_[0603]

Pacing the room in thought 24mm f/2.8.

MOVIE_[0603]

More studying more tidier 50mm f/1.8.

MOVIE_[0603]

The master-shot of my wife and myself 24mm f/2.8

MOVIE_[0603]_01

The cover close-up shot of my wife 85mm f/1.4.  White reflector used.

MOVIE_[0603]_02

The cover close-up shot of myself 85mm f/1.4.  White reflector used.

MOVIE_[0603]_03

The shot of myself editing was using my 85mm f/1.4.

MOVIE_[0603]_01

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s