Editing my first short film

When I came to deciding how I was going to edit this software I first had a go at the green software that was on my Mac but quickly decided that it wasn’t going to be sufficient for the job; so I then turned to Adobe Premier-Elements 10 which I had used a few years ago to edit my wife’s Panto on my Dell PC, but I found that it was an old version for Mac compatibility and unsuitable for my new Mac machine.  I decided to bite the bullet and use Apple’s Final-Cut-Pro which I have downloaded on a trial bases but will probably purchase when the month’s trial is up.  I am hoping that I can get a student discount.

Editing my film required a new learning curve for the Final-Cut-Pro software.  I uploaded my film using Adobe Lightroom and discovered that unlike my still images the movie images are not recorded to a similar RAW system that can be very forgiving for poor exposure of wrong white-balance.  I know that professional movie cameras record a RAW movie file but I guess they would be far too big for a DSLR camera and memory card to handle.

Importing the takes in to Final-Cut-Pro was fairly easy and I found that it works very similarly to Adobe’s Premier-Elements.  It has been five or more years since I last used Premier-Elements so I doubt that I would have worked any faster with the Adobe system.  Once I had selected all the takes that were best for my short film I spent a lot of time cutting them down in to shorter takes and I found that by going back over the film again and again I was able to bring the running-time down from 00:04:21 to 00:01:51 (rounded up to the full second and including the credits).

I chose to film with the camera’s internal mic switched off.  I had decided that for my first film I would only employ music with perhaps some added sound effects such as the sound of the alarm clock.  However, I chose to use La Fille Mal Gardee for the set-up choosing to time to cock crowing with the moment of the alarm clock waking Sarah up and I therefore felt additional sound effects un-necessary, this music fades out at the point of the complication.  I then chose Boots Randolph’s ‘Yakety Sax’ for the development and finale.

As a result of reading the books listed on my course I felt that I was able to plan and put together a short film that was tightly packed.  I particularly found the ideas of motifs and the four parts to a story very helpful and inspirational for this film and I hope you will notice these lessons applied to this movie.  I have a long way to go before I can make anything really good but I now feel more confident that I know what I am doing where I am going and how to get there.

It took over a day to figure out how to edit the sound and as I get more experienced with using editing software I am sure my editing will get much better.  Final-Cut-Pro interacts with iTunes very easily; so downloading music from iTunes or uploading from a CD is very easy.

Once happy with the sound-sync and edited motion-picture I uploaded to my Vimeo account.    https://vimeo.com/215847642

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s